Starting over.

Say G'day, Howdy, Nice to Meet you, introduce yourself. We'd love to catch up.
Dex

Starting over.

Post by Dex » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

My name is Matthew, or Dex. I have moved around central QLD all my life and have found a home in Brisbane. After having tools and gardening equipment then having to sell it each time i moved, finding a home in Brisbane and buying a motorbike to commute on and having a child i have found myself in a place in which i can rebuild my workshop / garage.

I have a single garage which i have dubbed "The Matt Cave" with three benches (one made of an old timber so i can bash things if required). My trusty Makita 14.4v drill (6281D), some galvanized steel shelves from Super Cheap, an old computer, old carpet if found at the dump, my Stanly 21" tool chest as well as a few other things i have picked up over the last few months to do my motorbike and car maintenance as well as a few house hold things. I make the space work and have a good time fixing things and pulling things apart.

Man has to have his shed (space).

PS: Teaching my daughter the difference between socket sizes.
Software Engineer | Kawasaki Rider | Pool Technician | Professional Tinkerer

Dwain

Re: Starting over.

Post by Dwain » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Nice one Dex, we all gotta start somewhere!

Is the old 14.4V Makita still doin' the job? Those are getting old now!

Dex

Re: Starting over.

Post by Dex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Dwain,

You know it is still doing the job to an extent, the batteries don't last a long as they use to i remember never having to charge them as i charge them in series since ill drain one then charge it and use the other then put the charged one back with its terminal cover back into the case. I have thought about buying a new battery for it since it's missing a lot at the top end but i can't see the point really.

I have been looking at platforms for a while now as my hobbies are now requiring more tools. I am an old fan of Makita, (price / reliability) my Father has used them forever and a day that is how i made my entrance to the brand as i was lucky enough for him to give me his hand me downs before buying my own. At work we use Milwaukee across the board as the owner swears by them and there reliability, i have been fortunate enough to "commandeer" a "Milwaukee M18BPD-302C" for my work workshop and i have to say i feels like a well put together piece of kit, great feel, great power and the 5Ah batteries are great value but its a little outside my price range for personal use despite there range of tools that i would use including the M12CD-0 for all my small electrical repairs.

At the end of the day It's getting old and i know i need to replace it but I am tossing up to what and making sure i pick the correct platform for the future.
Software Engineer | Kawasaki Rider | Pool Technician | Professional Tinkerer